To compare the two photos, set your bearings by the concrete walkway in the lower right corner of each picture that runs from the curb to the sidewalk.
This house was named after Charles and Deborah Sedgewick who came to Syracuse in 1842. Charles established the law firm of Sedgewick, Andrews and Kennedy. Both Charles and Deborah were active and outspoken abolitionists.
The "Gothic Revival" Sedgewick House was designed in 1843 by well known architect Alexander Jackson Davis. In 1838 Davis had completed the original incarnation of the Lyndhurst Mansion overlooking the Hudson River in Tarrytown for former New York City mayor William Paulding. Davis designed many important buildings in both the Greek and Gothic revival styles throughout the country. His works include the New York Customs House in New York City (now the Subtreasury); the state capitols of Indiana, North Carolina, Illinois, and Ohio; as well as a number of other villas along the Hudson River.
The New York Metropolitan Museum of Art holds Jackson's original plans for the Sedgewick house.
In 1858 the Sedgewicks moved further out on James to the top of the hill where they established the "Sedgewick Farm." In 1901 the Sedgewick heirs formed the Sedgewick Farm Land Company and proceeded to develop the land into the most desirable residential area in the city.
The original Sedgewick house stood at this site until the mid-1960's when it was demolished.