South Salina was originally a wagon trail
connecting the salt springs near Onondaga Lake with Onondaga Castle in
By the early 1900s, the portion of South Salina just south
of the Erie Canal had became the business and commercial center of the
entire Central New York region.
Today, many of South Salina's buildings are vacant.
Postcard, South Salina Street circa 1910
(Source: Onondaga Public Library)