Syracuse University was established in 1870 on 50 acres of land
on a hill overlooking the city and surrounding countryside. Fourteen years
later, the first building was constructed on the site -- the Hall of Languages.
Due to the economic depression following the panic of 1873, the Hall of
Languages remained the University's only building for the next fourteen years.
The majority of the buildings currently on the campus were built
following World War II.
Central campus, 1925