Campus Evolution from 1893 to 1994
|1893 - During its early years the campus is simply a row of
buildings fronting on University Place.
|1918 - With the Old Row along University Place complete, new
buildings are sited around the old hayfield to the south, roughly
forming the internal campus space that comes to be known as the Old
Oval. While these newer buildings face inward toward the Oval, the older
buildings/orientation remains toward University Place, facing away from
the new campus green. This becomes one of the central dilemmas which a
series of subsequent master plans will attempt to remedy
||1928 - After an earlier, more loosely organized plan by
Revels and Hallenbeck, Pope and Baum propose a grandly Beaux Arts campus
plan, using a domed chapel to formalize the Old Oval's east-west axis.
This plan envisions an ambitious series of new Neo-Georgian buildings,
including a major auditorium attached to the chapel's west face. Several
cross axes are also proposed extending northward into the street grid of
University Hill. The Old Oval becomes the Main Quadrangle.
||1949 - the onset of the Great Depression, followed by World
War II, prevents the University from completing the Pope-Baum plan.
Hendricks Chapel and Maxwell Hall are the only two Pope and Baum
buildings added to the core campus. The resumption of peacetime brings
exponential growth and the campus quickly fills with military surplus
pre-fabs, in sharp contrast to the early twentieth century's visions of
formality and order.
||1985 - Through the 1950's, 60's and 70's, the University
secures its growth with permanent buildings. While replacing the pre-fabs,
these buildings fail to re-order campus space, reacting instead to
pragmatic influences and the relentless pace of expansion. A series of
modest modernist buildings are constructed within the Main Quadrangle as
an "inner liner," obscuring the back sides of the original Old Row
||1994 - Projects such as the Center for Science and
Technology, Eggers Hall, and new structured parking are introduced to
remedy the spatial disorganization, forming a new series of organized
landscapes. University Place is closed to public motor traffic,
converting the old Lawn into a new internal campus green.
Historical Background: Syracuse University Campus