The former residential character of Columbus Circle and
its vicinity is no longer evident. Today the district is the focus of
civic, cultural and religious life in Downtown Syracuse. Buildings in the
district span nearly 150 years of change in Syracuse.
The small, brick First Gospel Church (1847) is a singular
reminder of the residential scale and character of buildings that once
surrounded Columbus Circle. This simple Greek revival meeting house today
is joined by Gothic Revival churches of the late 19th century, massive
Beaux Arts-style public buildings from the turn of the century, and modern
civic and cultural buildings of the late 20th century.
Since 1934, the focal point of the district has been the
bronze statue of Christopher Columbus, sculpted in Italy and financed by
Syracuse residents of Italian descent.
Columbus Circle is listed on the National Register of
Historic Places. For nearly 60 years, the focal point of the district has
been the bronze statue of Christopher Columbus (1934) sculpted in Italy
and financed by Syracuse residents of Italian descent. The area is a
proud reflection of the diverse cultures, personalities and public
institutions that have shaped our city.