Merton Elwood Granger

Merton Elwood Granger was born in February 28, 1882 at Wayland, NY.   In 1905 he entered Syracuse University to study architecture and graduated in 1909.  He worked for a time as an architectural draftsman in the office of A. L. Brockway in Syracuse, but started his practice in 1916. He became a part of the firm "Granger and Gillespie", but he continued to do independent projects.   By 1944, he became senior partner along with Helen E. Gillespie.  He retired from the firm in 1973.

Granger was very active in the architectural community.  He was a co-founder of the Syracuse Society of Architects.  He served as president twice, one time in 1944-45. For over 50 years, he was also a member of the American Institute of Architects. He served as a secretary, and was on the board of directors.  For over 10 years, he served as a director of  the New York Association of Architects. He also held a charter membership to the Tri-Regional Chapter of the Construction Specifications Institute, Inc.

Granger received several acknowledgements in honor of his dedication and service.  In 1956, he was honored for giving over 40 years of service to the Syracuse area. In 1960, he received a Certificate of Service award from the Syracuse Society of Architects in recognition of his years of service to both the community and the profession.  The Tri-Regional Chapter of the Construction Specifications Institute, Inc. also gave him a Certificate of Appreciation for Distinguished Service.

Merton Elwood Granger died in in Syracuse on November 26, 1974.


  • George R. Fearon residence, Fayetteville

  • H. H. Matlow residence, Harrington Rd., Syracuse

  • John Valentine residence, 592 Roberts Avenue

  • Paul O'Neil residence, 2601 James Street

  • Mr. W. Heffernan residence, Harrington Rd.

  • Mark Thompson residence, Bradford Boulevard

  • Herbert Mack residence

  • Seward Holcomb residence

  • A. J. Grabau residence, South Gate Rd., Dewitt

  • Joseph F. Friedel residence, Brattle Rd.

  • C. W. Tiffany residence, 310 Berkeley Drive

  • J. W. Pennock residence

  • J. P. Clune residence, Robineau Rd.

  • Allen Ames, Esq. residence, Onondaga Park and Crosset St.

  • A. J. Hoffman, Esq. residence, Park Side Ave.

  • Two houses for Dr. George S. Reed, on Circle Rd. and Dorset Rd.

  • Valentine and Purchase residence on Scotholm Boulevard

Business and Institutional
  • City Hospital, Syracuse, Renwick Avenue, demolished.

  • Burrows Memorial Chapel, Skaneateles

  • Killian Manufacturing Corporation

  • Delavan Corporation Plant

  • Onondaga County Savings bank office at Salina and Raynor


Home Up